Not a member yet? Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Forgot your password?

10 Jul Trip Report | Comments Off on Queens Camper trip

Queens Camper trip

The gods would be smiling on us over the long weekend according to the Weather Bureau. With that

in mind and the chance to use the Camper in the terrain it was intended for was enough to motivate

the group to hook up head for Huggett’s Crossing.

The meeting place was the BP at Longwarry. I arrived to see Steve and Leone patiently waiting

beside the grand and camper. Andre and Maree (Wangler), Justin and the kids (Wrangler) and

Michael and Tyler turned up in the Everest. I was glad to see Michael as I thought I might be the odd

man out given I was driving a Ranger.

We headed for Heyfield and then Maffra for a Bakery stop before heading for our campground the

long way. The trip was a good test for our trailers with a couple of downhill sections testing our

metal. One in particular saw Andre’s camper wanting to come around him and say gidday. With a

little advice from Michael we all worked out the best way to use the brakes and all was well from

that point on. The campers performed extremely well in the bush proving their capability.

We arrived at Huggett’s landing to find it fairly populated. I guess we could not expect much more

on a long weekend and good weather forecast. We found some space and set up camp for the

weekend. A short trip up the road to load the Ranger with firewood and it was Beer O’clock.

Clear skies made for cool overnight temperatures so a roaring fire and beanies were the go. My

fridge showed minus 3 in the morning so battery power was not an issue this weekend.

Sunday saw us having a leisurely breakfast then heading out for a look around. We followed the

Avon River and did around 23 crossings. Given the dry autumn we have experienced, there was little

water in the river so many crossings were dry. The track however was one of the most picturesque I

have travelled on. The rock pools and small gorges formed by the river were breathtaking.

There were two lookouts that we visited along the way. Once again both were amazing with views

on this clearest of days totally uninterrupted.

Andre managed to lose a bolt in a rear shocker on the way down from the second lookout.

Unfortunately the shaft was bent so it was removed and we carried on.

Back to camp for another pleasant night around the campfire. We were to meet another group from

MJOC but they chose to make camp elsewhere given that they knew that the campground was busy.

Another leisurely breakfast on Monday and we packed up for the trip home. A stop in Heyfield for

lunch at the local Pizza shop and we said our goodbyes.

A fantastic weekend made up of great company, amazing location, perfect winter weather and nice

equipment. Happy days!!

Gerry Anneveldt